Music Sounds Better With You" is the title of the first and only single by Stardust, a collaboration by Thomas Bangalter, Alan Braxe, and Benjamin Diamond.
Released on 20 July 1998. This song samples "Fate" by Chaka Khan.
The song was released independently in Thomas Bangalter's native France on his own record label, Roulé.
"Music Sounds Better With You" is certified Platinum in the United Kingdom and Australia, and Silver in France.
<figcaption></figcaption>The music video was directed by Michel Gondry. It features a boy who has just purchased a toy plane. Back at home, while he builds his plane, he switches channels on his TV to a program which features the top 5 chart songs. Some of the music videos shown have Stardust themselves singing their new song. As the days pass by, the kid builds the plane and so Stardust start to peek to the #1 in the program. At the end, the kid finally puts to fly the plane, as it flies, it crashes in a near cloud in where Stardust is playing, they later send the plane back to the kid, waving at him.
Critical reception Edit
John Bush from AllMusic gave the single 4.5 stars out of 5, calling it "One of the most irresistible, sublime dance singles of the decade". It was ranked 46th on Pitchfork's Top 200 songs of the '90s. In 2001, Mixmag, listed the 100 Greatest Dance Songs of All Time with "Music Sounds Better with You" listed at number 11. The song also appears at number 6 on Mixmag's 50 Greatest Dance Tracks of All Time in 2013.
In other Media Edit
- The song is remixed in the encore of Daft Punk's Alive 2007 world tour.
- The song is featured in Grand Theft Auto V on fictional radio station Non-Stop-Pop FM.
- The song is featured in By Any Means in episode six of season one as the opening.
- The song is sampled in Madonna's song "Get Together".
- The song is sampled in Big Time Rush's song "Music Sounds Better with U".
- The song was remixed by Giraffage in 2013.
- The song is sampled in Katy Perry's "California Gurls" – The Prismatic World Tour version.
- The song was used as an opening theme for the final season of Telemundo's MTV Dance Mix in 1998.
- The song is sampled in Statik Selektah's song "Beautiful Life", featuring Joey Badass and Action Bronson.
- The song was covered in 2016 by electronic music duo Vanrip.
- ↑ "Music Sounds Better with You EP - Stardust | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". allmusic.com
- ↑ "The Top 200 Tracks of the 1990s: 50-21 | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- ↑ "Top 100 Best Tunes Ever! - Clubxtrem.net". 2001-06-11. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- ↑ "What is the greatest dance track of all time? - Features - Mixmag". www.mixmag.net. 15 February 2013.